Thursday 13 November 2014

iTunesU

Even though it's just for iPads I have fallen back in love with iTunesU ever since you were able to create courses on an iPad. I think it might be that whole anywhere/anytime thing. iTunesU has always  been a great way to share resources. For things like iBooks and Beat the Teachers I think schools are crazy if they don't start collaborating on courses in year groups. I recently created Beat the Teachers of the first 200 of our school sight words and shared with the whole school. Wouldn't it be fantastic if someone else created mental maths Beat the Teachers and someone else created Beat the Teachers with phonic words or picture ones for phonemic awareness.

You could even each make books in Book Creator ( the easiest book creating app in history) and share them with your other like years, and you have guided readers. They would have exactly the content and vocabulary you want. To share a Book Creator to an iTunesU course, I found the easiest way was to email to myself as an ePub and add it to the course from a computer. I have been having a play with making games in book creator using pictures or words as links to other pages. They are visually appealing and easy for younger students. When you add them to a course as an ePub other teachers can download to iBooks and use.

Of course, you can still create fully interactive iBook Author books and add them to the course also. I added some simple comprehension passages and quizzes that I made in iBook Author. I also made Stick Around games and shared to the course via google drive. Now I am just waiting to see what fantastic things other teachers at the school create and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment